Jim's Message Board
[ Reply To This Message ]

What hidden text?
From Laurel Eby at Excel Translations on 28 April '98
adding to Re: Not in top 100 listing - I know why posted by Bob Perlman

>I believe I know exactly what has happend. You have hidden text on your page that matches the background color. I believe most of the search engines look for this now and penalize heavily for it. The workaround is to put a background image(white in your case) and change the background color to gray or something.

>Also, I think your keywording could be improved. I wouldn't use so many of them and I would take out the word localization which you seem to have quite a few times. I doubt if anyone but people in your industry are familiar with that piece of jargon and it will definitely lower your percentage of relevant words which pushes you to the bottom of the pile when people are looking for the word translation. If I were keywording your page I would use "translation service, German translation, French translation, Japanese translation, etc." and get rid of localization. I would keep the list much shorter than you've got. Maybe between 10 and 20 keywords tops. I'd also shorten up the meta description. And I would submit it to Infoseek first and see what happens, since they are the fastest to index you would have a pretty good idea of how this approach was working in an hour or less(usually).

>One other thing you might try is working in some text links with the word translation in the link text. You could make it invisible using the techniquie above. I've tried it on several sites and it seems to work.
>Otherwise I think you have a great looking site and it definitely deserves to be at the top of the heap in your category.

Hidden text? As far as I can tell, and believe me, I've looked very closely, I haven't got any text on my page that's the same color as the background. If you're seeing something I'm not, could you point it out to me?

Otherwise, thanks for the advice.

Replies from other people:

Reply to this message:

Who Are You?
Your name:
Email:
Home page title:
(optional)
Home page URL:
(optional)

Your Reply:
Subject: