deadlock Message Board
[ July Full List | Reply ]

Re: home town web page
From Linda on 15 July '99
replying to home town web page posted by Karen

Hi, Karen,

David's idea is great and it sounds like you're doing all the right things. I like the magnet idea--just make sure people don't put them on their monitors! ;->

I can see why your press release didn't work if the local paper thinks of you as a competitor! Are there any local business papers/magazines that might be more helpful? Also, check out my site http://www.twowriters.net. I have a free online newsletter, and one of the issues tells how to build a professional press release.

There are also several books on how to market on a shoestring. Of course, I can't remember the titles now, but you can probably find them on Amazon.com.

Also, ask yourself: What kinds of people would use your service? Visitors would be a good bet. You can contact local travel agents, travel associations, hotels, the AAA, etc. to see if you can work out a mutually beneficial relationship. Some of these businesses may have a newsletter (the AAA definitely does) they can mention you in.

Who else do you expect to go to your site--and where do you normally find these people?

For a little more money, card decks might be a good idea to reach people in a certain zip code. These are the decks of cards you get in the mail with coupons from local pizzerias, carpet cleaners, auto body shops, etc. One company that offers this service is ADVO http://www.advo.com.

Finally, you can go to SCORE for help. SCORE--the Service Corps of Retired Executives--is a free service for small business owners through the SBA. I interviewed a few SCORE clients for an article and they were all pleased. Your local SBA office should be in the phone book. They might be able to help you find ways to market your site offline.

Good luck!

Linda

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive
automatic replies by email)