deadlock Message Board
[ June Full List | Reply ]

Re: Help Please
From David A on 15 June '00
replying to Re: Help Please posted by Thomas

>>>Hello,
>>>I am actually having a nightmare trying to do this so I thought I would post this to see if anyone out their can help.
>>>
>>>I am trying to create a "Your Path" on my site so that users can view where they have been and for ease of navigation.
>>>
>>>An example would be
>>>Your Path: Home : categories : amino acids
>>>
>>>The problem I am running into is that my site is using ASP w/ VB script. My products are all stored in a database and I dont know how to call the product or the category that the product is in (especially making it a link). Any code or insight would be extremley appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>
>>Not sure if I understand the question but I'll try an answer anyway.
>>I'm coming from a PHP background on this but the principles are probably the same.
>>
>>First create a column in the database which contains the category which that product is in. That way you can search and index according to the category.
>>
>>As far as linking. Have an IF/ELSE loop which sends a query to the database based on the variables passed to the page.
>>
>>OK that wasn't very clear.
>>
>>Example:
>>lets assume your page is called products.asp.
>>On that page you have code like: (not actual code)
>>
>>IF category=1 then database query = return everything with cateory 1.
>>
>>ELSEIF category=2 then database query = return everything with cateory 2.
>>
>>Calling this url 'products.asp?category=1' would result in product 1 categories being displayed. 'products.asp?category=2 would show category 2 items.
>>
>>Basically the results returned by the database is determined by an IF loop which is passed variables via the URL. Hopefully that remotely makes sense.
>
>David,
>Ok yes that makes sense, but I am having a hard time actually writing the link. Here is the problem more exact.
>Say I am at the home page, I then go to a category and in that category, I click on a product, I then need to be able to create a link to go back to the category. All the products and cetegories are stored in a databse.
>It might make more sense to view the site I am working on.. it is www.vitamins-etc.com
>Any help is much appreciated. Thanks for the other insight by the way.

It looks like you could use a link similar to what the "Shop by Category" form provides. Of course a text link would look like http://www.vitamins-etc.com/category.asp?category=49

But that didn't seem to work. Not sure why. Whatever the variable for "category" is just put that in the link above. Similar to the way this link http://www.vitamins-etc.com/buy.asp?id=171 takes you to a specific product.

Here it looked like the variable for 'id' was 'productID'.

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message