deadlock Message Board
[ February Full List | Reply ]

Re: (I know nothing) Does it matter which internet provider you use?
From Jim Perry at Palmares of Elite Women Cycle Racers on 19 Feb '01
replying to (I know nothing) Does it matter which internet provider you use? posted by Russ

>I don't know anything about this stuff. Can I use any internet provider? Does that matter? How about getting a domain name? Can I use it on AOL?
>
>Can you recommend a readable book for someone that's not a webhead and doesn't have time to learn. I plan to use your software once I get to the point where I know what to do with it. Thanks.

I will address part of your question. If you register a domain name, you can then put your web site on any host server of your choice.

Host servers offer a very wide range of hosting packages and prices. A good place to start looking is:

Hostfinders:
http://www.hostfinders.com

They list web hosts by price, location, system platform, etc. They give very basic details of the host packages offered and a web address.

This is only one of many web sites which lists web hosts. The Yahoo! directory has a listing for many others.

There is absolutely no need to place your web site with your ISP.

It is somewhat difficult to recommend a book since I'm not sure exactly what you need. Do you need an HTML book? Do you need a book on site design? A book on site promotion? Site usability?

Jim Perry

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message