deadlock Message Board
[ November Full List | Reply ]

Re: Domain Names - Help!
From Linda at BadAds.org: Slam Bad Ads! on 16 Nov '00
replying to Domain Names - Help! posted by SR Castellano

Hi!

You can find a list of domain registrars approved by ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) at http://www.icann.org/registrars/accredited-list.html. You can check each link to get info on each registrar's price, etc.

However, I recently wrote an article on choosing a domain name, and a rep at Network Solutions (who of course may be biased) said that the other registrars wait until they have a batch of registrations and then send them in to the Network Solutions registry all at once--so if you choose a name that may be snagged by someone else, your best bet is to go directly through Network Solutions for instant registration.

FYI, Network Solutions is a registrar (meaning they can register your name) and a registry (meaning that they are where all domain names reside). The other companies are just registrars, so although they'll register your name, they must still work through the Network Solutions registry. Confusing, I know.

Cheers,

Linda

>Who would everybody recommend I go through if I were to get my own domain name? who is the best? who has the best price? All comments are welcome. Thanks again!

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message