deadlock Message Board
[ March Full List | Reply ]

Re: Can't understand Yahoo!
From David A on 14 March '00
replying to Re: Can't understand Yahoo! posted by Anne

Inktomi is the search engine of choice for the major portals like Hotbot, Yahoo, Lycos. Open Directory (dmoz.org) is the search directory of choice for the major portal sites like Altavista.

Yahoo uses Inktomi to support its directory. When you search and no directory matches are found it dumps out Inktomi results. It is important to be listed well with the Inktomi engine because many portals use it or some variation of it.

Lets say you wanted to start your own search portal. First you get the Open Directory code and database (which is free) for your category listings. Then you get the Inktomi search engine (which you would have to liscense). Then you give yourself a cool name like AltaSeekBot.

Yes the open Directory code is free for the taking. This is why, like you have discovered, anyone can be an editor.

>OK - I give up! What is Inktomi?? is that like Yahoo! jail??
>
>>Your not in Yahoo, your in Inktomi. Do the same search in Hotbot, the results should be similar.
>>
>>>Well, I am finally in Yahoo! but only in their "Web Pages" section, not the categorized "Web Sites". You can find me if you do a search on "Hospital Classifieds", but not under the sections I had submitted such as health employment: http://dir.yahoo.com/Health/Employment/Jobs/
>>>or Nursing jobs: http://dir.yahoo.com/Health/Nursing/Employment/Jobs/
>>>What is up with that??
>>>
>>>I have also tried to contact Yahoo! about banner advertising SEVERAL times by phone and email, and have yet to get any sort of response from them.
>>>
>>>The listing that Yahoo! does have under "Web Sites" seems to be done by a robot... and also due to the lack of response that I have gotten from Yahoo! for advertising makes me wonder why they don't want my money???? Is Yahoo! falling down on the job, or is it me?

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message