deadlock Message Board
[ November Full List | Reply ]

Re: META tags
From Rebecca on 29 Nov '99
replying to Re: META tags posted by Greg

>>I am very new at this. Please be gentle. Have I entered my meta tags wrong? I can't seem to find myself on any search engines that I have suggested to, more than a month ago. I also noticed someone mention that centering text is a no no, why? It looks neater sometimes. I would appreciate some ideas on how to get my business noticed. I am reading, reading, and reading somemore. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Please help. Thank you.
>
>As far as meta tags, I would increase the number of keywords in your meta tags.
>
>I would also work on your title to include more keywords. How about "Small business Web page design for Coastal Maine"? It doesn't necessarily have to be a sentence, a phrase is fine. Place the main keywords first.
>
>As for your content, your text is very good...very keyword rich. You could trim it down even further though. Stick to a predermined set of keywords and try to repeat them frequently.
>
>As far as design goes, lose the blue background. It makes the blue text very hard to read. Also, lose the fancy font. If a visitor doesn't have Lucida Calligraphy installed on their system it will use a default font anyway, usually Times. Use more common fonts like Arial, Helvetica, and Verdana. Also, don't bump up the size of the font. I'm running on a 1024x768 screen and the font looks pretty big. It must look huge on 800x600, and enormous on 640x480. I've found that Arial, Helvetica, or Verdana at a "-1" fot size works well for most uses even Mac users (Mac browsers tend to render text a bit smaller). Don't forget that your users will be running different platforms, browsers, and screen resolutions. Oh yeah, lose the centered text. Simple black text right justified on a white background looks (and sells) much better.
>
>Good luck! Check AlpineZone.com (http://www.alpinezone.com) for some Maine skiing info!
>
>GB

Hi Greg,
Thank you very much for your insight. I made all of the changes you listed except I just didn't think the right aligned text looked alright. I did a left alignment instead. I came up with as many more keywords as I could think of. I trimmed down the text and threw web infront of page every time. I chose Arial and black for fonts, made them -1, and white for a background. The right alignment is interresting cause I can't find a good example of it. Thanks again so very very much.

Rebecca

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message