deadlock Message Board
[ August Full List | Reply ]

Re: .com vs .net
From Jeff on 28 August '00
replying to Re: .com vs .net posted by TJ

>>>Can anyone tell me what the major difference is between having a website with a .com extention rather then .net or .org. As I understand it, .com stands for commercial business, and org stands for organization - usually government related. What does .net stand for and would registering a name with this type of extention place you at any great disadvantage over someone who owns the same name but with a .com ext? Do the SE's treat sites differently by the extensions?
>>>Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>>Tyler
>>
>>People tend to default on the .com suffix, so if somebody types in www.your-domain.com, when it is actually .net three things can happen:
>>
>>1) The person assumes the URL is just incorrect, and gives up looking for you.
>>2) The .com web-site is a competitor, and gets the customer instead.
>>3) The person realizes the mistake and tries the .net suffix.
>>
>>As you can see, there is a real disadvantage to using a .net URL if some-one else is using the .com counterpart. Ideally you would own both, but if you can't, let it be the .net suffix, or think of another domain name.
>>
>>Patrick R.
>
>Patrick, well stated. Originally, the .com was to be for Commercial use only. The .net was for 'Net Works' ie: ISP's (Internet Service Providers) And the .org was only for Organisations (mostly for 'non profits'. I wasn't around the 'Net way back then, so I don't know what us 'ordinary every day people' used. Now, anyone can use any extention for 'Personal Pages' etc. or for any purpose, except .gov.

I agree Patrick's answer was excellent. Yep, com, net and even org are
now available to anyone for any purpuse. Always go with .com . Despite
the talk of top level domain shortages, net and org are
probably less important than ever. Other TLDs are .edu, .mil, .gov .

Notice that Network Solutions says they are the "Dot Com people", not
the Dot Net people! And their database is called the Dot Com guide even
though it is full of nets and orgs, too.

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message