deadlock Message Board
[ October Full List | Reply ]

Re: Old Site New Site
From David A on 23 Oct '00
replying to Old Site New Site posted by Doug M

>I have just finished a complete overhaul of this web site.
>
>www.desiccant.com
>
>Most of the pages from the "old" site have been pretty well listed on the major search engines, so I created "refresh" pages using all thier old URL's, but pointed the refresh to the new home page.
>
>I'm beginning to think this might not be the best strategy.
>
>Anyone with experiance on this issue who can provide a little advice would be most welcomed.
>
>The old site had about 45 pages, while the new site has been condensed to about 20. Apart from a standard set of refresh tags, the "old site" pages are now blank, and have no META information on them.
>
>I haven't had time to submit all the "new" pages yet. The META Tags on all of them are also the same. I am also curious about the importance of page titles. Many of the new site Page Titles are all the same right now.
>
>My thanks in advance.
>
>Doug

Many people go way out of their way to create doorway pages. You have some built in now. Put the Meta tags back on the old pages. If they get respidered without them they will drop. SEs do not like auto Meta refresh tags, your pages will drop for this.

Titles are just as important as tags and body content. Some SEs, like Alatvista, put title priority above meta tags or body text. If you want individual pages to get listed have unique titles on them.

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message