deadlock Message Board
[ February Full List | Reply ]

Re: Sabotage
From David A on 8 Feb '01
replying to Sabotage posted by JWJ

>The company I work for is building an online shopping site for our product. They don't know much about search engine issues. I am somewhat low on the totem pole for saying *hey, this is important* and only have *vague* notions of what will wreck a site for search engine indexing. I know the basic meta & text rules but these OTHER issues have me worried.
>
>1.
>All I can say to the one guy in the company who passionately wants to have our first page be a flash animation is, "that supposedly will wreck the indexing." This statement doesn't sway him.

A page done all in flash will rank MUCH lower than an html page. Most search engines favor keywords in the body text of a page. If there are no keywords on the page the SE will not rank it very well.

>
>2.
>The contractor guy that will be building the site told us that he will be using ASP and now I'm freaking out because it doesn't sound like HTML and I don't know if the meta tags are going to be there or if any of the text is going to be there or what. And you guys seem to be talking about ASP and Question Marks and saying scary things that I don't understand. The way the guy explained this ASP thing that we are doing is that it's like frames but it's not frames.

SEs will not index urls with question marks or "cgi-bin" in them.
Example: www.mycompany.com/asp_page.asp?somevariable=1&and_another=2
This page will not be indexed.

Most SEs will index .asp pages so,
Example: www.mycompany.com/asp_page.asp
is ok.

1 alternative to asp is shtml, which all SEs handle. Another, and you may need the help of your SysAdmin for this, is to route all .html files through the asp preprocessor. I know this is not very efficient on server resources but for smaller or lower volume sites its a good alternative.

These alternatives are only valuable if your using asp for "includes" and such. If your using asp to pass variables between pages these methods won't help you.

>
>I read from your archives but things change so fast in this intustry... What is the latest wisdom on these issues?

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message