deadlock Message Board
[ June Full List | Reply ]

Re: Visual Search Engines
From panda on 12 June '01
replying to Re: Visual Search Engines posted by Dale

The evisionglobal visual search engine mentioned in the article uses object-based search and I think that is what makes it so effective. It has been showing around at several tradeshows recently and it is pretty impressive. The results I saw in demos were not perfect, but very good and the more "clearly defined" the objects in the photograph, the better the results. They showed one example at Seybold using a 1000+ image database of sample image of a woman in a strapless dress sitting on a couch. They then did a search for similar images. The first four or five results were astounding. They were pictures of women in various poses in strapless dresses or tops. What was amazing was that most of the images in the database had nothing to do with this kind of content. And the scene itself was not something I would have keyworded to include "woman in strapless dress". Very impressive.

Things like alta vista give such lousy results because they don't use objects. They look at the whole image and then find anything with similar overall colors.

Cool stuff

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message