deadlock Message Board
[ November Full List | Reply ]

Re: I've worked on my site for months and No results. Please help.
From Wayne a different one at Seeking Sites Afar on 18 Nov '99
replying to Re: I've worked on my site for months and No results. Please help. posted by Wayne

Others have covered <META> tags, site organization and the focus of the site.

I will add two comments.

1) Since not all "search engines" depend on Meta Tags, the "top four incles/cm/etc. of your web page are critical. Some "search engines" just look at the <TITLE> tan and the actual words starting from the top of the page down - and when they reach their own limit (word count or character string), they depart - and that is what you "see" in their database. Chose the words near the top of the entry page (and subsequent pages) carefully.

2) Although *where* you host your site should not matter, it sometimes does. I think there was mention of taking out a domain name? I have one, but I also use "free site hosting" a lot. Some put up things at the top of your pages or a "splash" pop-up and such. Some free hosting sites do *not* do this. Those that do not - in my opnion - are where I would go. I think you are on a different side of the Atlantic than I am, but I offer a page of such web site hosting places. Take a look at the "terms of service" and some of the sites on those place with a "blinking star" (hint) on this web page.

http://anthro.org/htmlhosts.htm

And anyone wishes to send email and suggest others, that page has an email address at the bottom. The above web page does not cover the UK unless I accidentally put one on that page. I would be glad to add othes - if you have had good results using them.

You have already received a great deal of great advice. I just add my "two pence/cents" - your mileage/Km may vary. Best wishes in reaching your objectives.

Reply to this message

Required Details
Your name:
Subject:

Optional Details
Home page title:
Home page URL:
Email:
(if you'd like to receive automatic replies by email)

Your Message